Unlocking Potential: Principal Preparation
AudienceLeading teacherPrincipal class
Next IntakeNot scheduled
FeesDET Fully Subsidised
Develop the confidence, skills and professional knowledge to be thoroughly prepared for your first principal appointment.
Through the Education State reform agenda, the Victorian Government has invested $12.1 million over 4 years to develop current and future principals and school leaders. Unlocking Potential (UP): Principal Preparation is the flagship principal preparation program for high potential leaders.
The aim of this rigorous and highly innovative program is to thoroughly prepare you for your first principal appointment. UP provides you with the confidence, skills and professional knowledge necessary to create school cultures that provide high quality educational opportunities for all students.
UP graduates receive a Graduate Certificate of Principal Preparation (Victoria). This formal qualification is given by Monash University and is a mark of excellence in school leadership, with graduates considered as highly capable candidates for principal positions.
Designed for assistant principals and leading teachers.
The program runs for 12 months and includes pre-workshop activities, post-workshop support and ongoing formal assessment tasks.
UP is structured around research-based content aligned to principal accountabilities. It is personalised and flexible to suit your needs.
You are expected to engage in and contribute to:
- 12 workshop days, including a 2-day Open-to-Learning™ Leadership workshop
- a 20–60 day placement in another school working alongside a highly effective school principal
- up to 8 hours of coaching following completion of a 360-degree diagnostic tool to help determine learning needs
- tailored masterclasses with experts and Victorian principals
- a small-scale intervention project around a leadership challenge in your school
- an online learning community through Bastow’s online learning environment, Bastow 307, and Monash University’s online learning platform, Moodle
- access to Monash University facilities and services, including libraries and Student Support
- a capstone interview with Victorian government principals and regional leaders.
The program gives you the opportunity to broaden your understanding of the following areas of professional practice, which are aligned to the Australian Professional Standard for Principals:
- leading teaching and learning
- developing self and others
- leading improvement, innovation and change
- leading the management of the school
- engaging and working with the community.
These research-based areas of professional practice are developmental and interconnected, with a focus on learning and teaching as central to all educational leadership.
This program is partly subsidised for Victorian government school principals.
Participants can claim Casual Relief Teacher (CRT) funding for attendance at workshop days.
Schools with a participant in UP can also claim CRT funding to cover part of the participant’s internship placement (between 20 to 50 days).
See Fees and financial support for more information.
Acceptance into UP is dependent on a selection process. Applicants will need to respond to the key selection criteria. Those who are shortlisted will be invited to an interview.
Successful applicants also need to meet the selection requirements for the Graduate Certificate of Principal Preparation (Victoria).
Learn more about the application and selection process (PDF 423KB).
Refer to our frequently asked questions (PDF 385KB) for more information on eligibility and key selection criteria.