The following information outlines everything you need to know about the application process for the Teaching Excellence Program.
To be eligible for the program you must:
- be an Australian citizen or have a permanent residency visa
- have full teacher registration with the Victorian Institute of Teaching
- be in a current teaching role in Victoria (full-time or part-time) in a primary, secondary or specialist school at commencement and for the duration of the program
- have taught for at least 3 years in a school setting
- have your principal's endorsement
Although we recommend that you have experience teaching in a school setting, if you have experience in other settings – such as a TAFE, university or language school – and wish to apply, ensure that you outline the relevance of the related work in your application for the selection panel to consider.
Examples of eligible applicants include:
- teachers from any school type, including specialist schools
- teachers who have been employed in government schools as part of the Tutor Learning Initiative but are moving back into a classroom position in 2022
- principals or assistant/deputy principals who are also in a classroom teaching role for a significant portion of their work time
- leading teachers with part-time responsibilities in the classroom
- regional staff who are returning to classroom teaching in 2022.
There is no limit to the number of teachers who may apply from each school. Each applicant will need the relevant endorsements.
Your application will be assessed against 5 selection criteria:
- demonstrates deep understanding of the relevant discipline
- develops and implements innovative, engaging learning opportunities for students
- uses and analyses data to identify each student’s learning level
- applies a range of strategies from an evidence-based teaching repertoire to advance students’ learning
- communicates with clarity, compassion and commitment.
Preparing your application
It is anticipated it will take approximately 3 hours to prepare your application. Make sure you consider the selection criteria when developing your application.
As part of your application, you will need to:
- select 1 discipline
- complete a short statement about why you would like to participate in the program
- submit your curriculum vitae
- demonstrate your expertise as a teacher
- provide a statement of support from your principal or peer (endorsed by your principal).
You will need to complete a short statement about why you would like to participate in the program.
In what ways do you anticipate the Teaching Excellence Program will benefit and have impact on your teaching and the profession?
Your statement is limited to 250 words.
Attach a 2-page CV outlining your:
- professional career
- achievements within and outside education.
Demonstrate your expertise
You will need to attach a single document (maximum 3 pages) that contains 3 examples that demonstrate your expertise as a teacher. They may interrelate or be isolated examples, using excerpts for brevity and succinctness. Include a short annotation in relation to the context and purpose of each example.
Examples could include:
- an innovative teaching or assessment approach you use to enhance students’ learning
- a curriculum unit you designed and taught
- an outline of a sequence of lessons you have taught that includes representations of students’ prior learning and their growth
- written feedback from students, parents/carers or colleagues
- an outline of a community-based learning experience you led
- action research you have conducted into your practice
- a selection of annotated student work samples
- a conference presentation or workshop you conducted
- an abstract of a published journal article you wrote
- a link to a podcast or video (on an accessible platform) that you have created.
The examples you provide should demonstrate your experience as a teacher both in your selected discipline and in using responsive pedagogies. At least 2 of the examples must be from the selected discipline to assist the selection panel.
Statement of support
You will need to provide a 250-word written reference from your principal or peer (endorsed by your principal); you will need to provide your principal's name and email address
As a general guide, the principal or peer statement of support should provide evidence of your experience and practice, and outline reasons why they believe you and the school could benefit from your participation in the program.
Note: documents can be uploaded as doc, docx or PDF files
We use a platform called Award Force to manage and review applications.
When you apply you will receive an email with instructions on how to progress your application through the platform.
Once you create an account an email will be sent to your email address for verification. You will need to click the verification link in the email. If you don’t see your email in a couple of minutes, please check your junk mail or spam folder.
If you have any questions or need further support, contact the Teaching Excellence Program team via:
- phone: 03 9084 8574
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org