Numeracy Leader Area Workshops
FeesDET Fully Subsidised
How can you guide and support your school’s approach to developing high quality mathematics learning and teaching?
The Numeracy Leader Area Workshops will focus on unpacking teaching strategies that improve student mathematical understanding, fluency, problem solving, reasoning, and assessment.
You will also explore how you can support your school’s professional learning and foster positive dispositions towards mathematics learning and teaching.
Designed for staff with responsibility for driving numeracy improvement in their primary or secondary school, including:
- numeracy leaders
- learning specialists
- primary mathematics specialists
- classroom teachers (working in a leadership role with aspects of mathematics and/or numeracy)
- regional staff who work with schools to improve numeracy/maths outcomes for students.
Developed and facilitated by mathematics specialists from Monash University.
You are expected to engage in and contribute to:
- pre-workshop activities (2 hours)
- an online workshop (1 day).
Prior to the workshop, you will need to complete a series of short interviews with staff and students at your school.
More information is provided through the registration process, along with support materials.
You will need approximately 2 hours to complete the pre-work.
Over 1 day, you will:
- explore what a positive disposition towards numeracy looks like and how to cultivate it in your school
- make connections between 21st century skills and mathematic proficiencies
- investigate mathematical tasks and learn strategies to assess students’ understanding and reasoning skills
- discuss strategies for leading effective professional learning in your school.
The workshop will include a range of presentations, break-out room discussions and collaborative tasks.
You’ll learn how to:
- help students and teachers develop more positive mathematical dispositions
- use evidence-informed teaching and learning strategies to improve mathematics learning
- lead the learning of your colleagues.