Master of Instructional Leadership
AudiencePrincipal classLeading teacher
Next IntakeJuly 2019
Duration2 years part time
ModeFace to face
Master of Instructional Leadership is a postgraduate program offered through the Melbourne Graduate School of Education at the University of Melbourne.
Through the course, you will learn how to manage and develop your team, and discover innovative approaches to school management. You will gain evidence-based skills to transform and improve teaching and learning.
Bastow offers 20 scholarships for the Master of Instructional Leadership.
Designed for principal class and middle leaders.
The minimum entry requirements are one or more of the following:
- appropriate honours degree in education
- postgraduate certificate or postgraduate diploma in the field of education
- appropriate 4-year degree, or equivalent, and at least 2 years of documented relevant professional experience.
The Master of Instructional Leadership is delivered 1 year full-time or 2 years part-time. Classes are scheduled on Friday’s and Saturday’s to suit busy school leaders, and part-time study is strongly recommended.
Teaching will be led by Professor John Hattie, Professor Stephen Dinham, Professor Patrick Griffin, Professor Lea Waters, Dr Helen Stokes, Associate Professor David Gurr and Associate Professor Lawrie Drysdale.
The Master of Instructional Leadership can be completed via either a coursework or research pathway.
- 1 year full-time or 2 years part-time
- 100 points of coursework, comprising:
- 7 x compulsory 12.5 point subjects (including the 25 point captstone component)
- 1 x 12.5 point elective.
- 2 years part-time
- 100 points of coursework, comprising:
- 4 x core 12.5 point subjects
- 1 x 12.5 point research methodology subject
- 1 x 37.5 point research project.
Participants are expected to attend all course days, actively engage in and contribute to all activities and presentations, complete all elements and assessment components, and participate in an interview to evaluate the course.
Credit for Bastow courses
Successful completion of the Bastow Leading Pedagogy course provides 12.5 credit points (one subject only) towards the Master of Instructional Leadership. This credit is applied directly to the elective subject in the MIL.
By participating in this course, you will learn how to:
- lead a learning community
- lead improvement, innovation and change
- develop productive working relationships
- link leadership and enhanced teacher capacity and school performance
- engage and work with parents and the community
- use data to inform decision making
- develop and lead your team to improve instructional practice
- adopt innovative approaches to school management
- communicate effectively with staff, students and parents.
Course fees: $28 448 (incl. GST).
Bastow offers 20 scholarships for the Master of Instructional Leadership. If you are successful in obtaining a Bastow scholarship this fee will be subsidised by $7 150 (excl. GST).
The University of Melbourne will liaise directly with the successful applicants during November and December regarding the University enrolment process. The University of Melbourne enrolment process is completed online. You will need to submit your academic transcripts from previous qualifications to successfully complete the enrolment process.
Note: if you are unsuccessful in gaining a Bastow scholarship place, you can apply for a full-fee place (with FEE-HELP) through the Melbourne Graduate School of Education.
If the Masters is completed part-time, this cost will be payable over 4 instalments to the University of Melbourne, in February and July each year, for 2 years.
FEE-HELP is also available to defer payment. This option can be selected during the university enrolment process.
If you withdraw from the course prior to its commencement or at any time before its completion, you will be expected to compensate the Department for any costs incurred as a result of, or arising out of, your enrolment.
03 8199 2943