Literacy Data, Assessment and Practice (Primary)
Literacy Data, Assessment and Practice (Primary) develops the knowledge, skills and dispositions needed to lead the use of reliable and effective literacy data.
This fully online course will explore literacy data, assessment and practice that continuously inform instruction which leads to improved literacy outcomes for students.
Referencing the latest learning theory, you will develop the skills to collect, analyse and interpret reading, writing and vocabulary data for both formative and summative purposes.
This course is also offered for a secondary school setting, see Literacy Data, Assessment and Practice (Secondary). Both courses are part of our Literacy Suite.
Designed for teachers in Victorian government primary schools.
Over 10 months, you are expected to engage in and contribute to:
- 6 core modules each with a virtual workshop:
- Module 1: Skills, knowledge and disposition of data-literate educators
- Module 2: Collecting reading data for formative and summative purposes
- Module 3: Transforming reading into knowledge that informs instruction
- Module 4: Collecting writing data for formative and summative purposes
- Module 5: Transforming writing data into knowledge that informs instruction
- Module 6: Collecting vocabulary data and transforming it into knowledge that informs instruction
- introductory and concluding modules
- self-paced micro lessons
- facilitated discussion boards
- an applied learning project focusing on one literacy area aligned to your school's Annual Implementation Plan.
Feedback will be provided periodically from your facilitator for the duration of the course.
The estimated time commitment is between 6 to 9 hours per month.
By participating in this course, you will develop an understanding of the:
- skills, knowledge and dispositions that teachers require to use data effectively and responsibly
- components of a comprehensive whole-school plan for literacy data collection, analysis and use
- tools, systems and processes to leverage for the collection, analysis and use of valid and reliable literacy data
- different purposes of summative and formative assessment
- importance of ongoing formative assessment at the classroom level for improving student outcomes.
The course fees are significantly subsidised by the Department of Education and Training.
Co-contribution: $550 (incl. GST) for each Victorian government school participant.
See Fees and financial support for more information.
03 8199 2928