AudienceLeading teacherPrincipal classTeacher
Duration6 - 9 months
Note: it is a pre-requisite for the principal class member and at least one other member of the school team to attend a half-day orientation session prior to applying for this course. Click 'View dates and register' to register for an orientation session.
Leading Mathematics aims to build your school team's capability in specific areas of content and pedagogical knowledge to improve mathematics learning and achievement for all students at your school.
The course is designed, and differentiated for both primary and secondary contexts, with a focus on understanding, empowering and enabling highly effective mathematics teaching across schools.
Leading Mathematics supports the Excellence in teaching and learning dimension of the Framework for Improving Student Outcomes.
The Leading Mathematics orientation will help you make a more informed decision about this professional learning opportunity.
See Leading Mathematics course dates 2020 (PDF - 148 KB) for intake dates. Dates are subject to change once the course structure is finalised.
Designed for primary or secondary school teams of 3 people, comprising:
- principal class member
- leading teacher who has responsibilities for mathematics or numeracy learning or leads a team that designs for mathematics and/or numeracy learning
- classroom teacher (with leadership responsibilities or potential) who is keen to investigate, learn and develop their mathematics practice and provide evidence of student learning to inspire colleagues.
Small and cluster schools are also encouraged to apply. Contact the course coordinator to discuss your needs.
The course fees are significantly subsidised by the Department of Education and Training.
At this stage, the co-contribution amount has not been finalised.
The cost covers facilitator support and feedback, learning resources, morning/afternoon tea, and lunch at workshops.
Successful applicants are required to confirm their enrolment with a non-refundable co-contribution to Bastow within 7 working days.
Acceptance into Leading Mathematics is dependent on completing a 2-step process:
Step 1: Register and attend a half-day orientation session
- The orientation session will provide participants with essential information regarding the course content. School teams will be supported to make an informed and confident decision about whether to proceed with Leading Mathematics.
- At least 1 principal class member and 1 other member of the school team must attend this session. Remaining team members are welcome to attend if available.
Note: attending the orientation session is a mandatory step in the application process.
- Click 'View dates and apply' to register for an orientation session.
Step 2: Apply to attend the course
If your team decides to progress with the course, you are required to complete a short application outlining your school context and learning needs. Details regarding how to complete Step 2 of the application process will be provided following the orientation session.