Law and Order
AudiencePrincipal classBusiness managerTeacher leader
FeesDET Fully Subsidised
Increase your capacity to lead your school's approach to manage its legal and policy obligations and risks.
Law and Order will equip you with the knowledge and skills you need to navigate Department policy requirements and the legal issues that arise in your school.
Leave with a better understanding of key legal concepts and obligations and Department policy, and with supporting resources that relate to difficult issues such as parent disputes, inappropriate behaviour and duty of care.
You will improve your ability to respond to the operational compliance and legal issues that arise.
Law and Order supports the 'Professional leadership' priority area of the Victorian Education State Framework for Improving Student Outcomes (FISO).
Law and Order is Module 3 in the Strategic Management for School Leaders suite, which supports the Department of Education and Training's commitment to lifting the organisational performance of schools.
Designed for Victorian government school principal class members, business managers and teacher leaders.
This workshop is facilitated by senior and experienced staff including lawyers from the Department’s Legal Division who have spent many years advising schools on legal and policy compliance issues.
Law and Order comprises six 60-90-minute workshops.
Workshop 1 provides a summary of key legal and policy requirements.
Workshops 2 to 6 focus on specific legal and policy requirements and afford you the opportunity to deep-dive into a topic.
Each workshop explores a range of resources, including case studies and policies, and is designed to be interactive through group discussion and presentations.
Note: you will need to attend Workshop 1 before attending Workshops 2 to 6.
Workshops 2 to 6 are standalone, so you can choose which ones to attend, depending on your specific needs and experiences.
Workshop 1 - Overview
During this workshop you will explore:
- key legal and policy issues and risks affecting schools
- Department policies, local school policy templates and resources
- available strategies and steps for reducing your school's legal and compliance risks.
Workshop 2 - Family Disputes and Intervention Orders
This workshop will look closely at family disputes and intervention orders, specifically:
- family law
- intervention order issues
- inappropriate parent or visitor behaviour arising in schools.
Workshop 3 - Other Legal Issues
This workshop explores a range of topics, including:
- privacy and information sharing
- child safety.
Many of these topics are not covered in other workshops.
Workshop 4 - Duty of Care
During this workshop, you will explore duty of care through case studies based on real examples and have the chance to understand the practical ways in which you can discharge your duty of care.
Workshop 5 - Discrimination and Human Rights
This workshop will support you to understand the key concepts in discrimination law, with a focus on students with disability, and provides an overview of the Charter of Human Rights.
Workshop 6 - Policy Frameworks
This workshop provides an overview of some key Department policies applying to schools, available on the Policy and Advisory Library, and explains tips for local policy development using the School Policy Templates Portal.
You will learn:
- about your school’s key legal and policy obligations
- when to seek legal or other advice
- strategies and steps for reducing legal risk in relation to:
- family disputes and intervention orders
- effective responses to disputes and managing inappropriate behaviours of parents and visitors
- key legal obligations in relation to students with disabilities
- duty of care, including bullying, excursions, camps, social media
- the legal framework and Department policy underpinning enrolment, attendance, suspension and expulsion
- information sharing and privacy.