Law and Order
AudiencePrincipal classBusiness managerTeacher leader
Next IntakeMultiple intakes
ModeFace to face
FeesDET fully subsidised
Increase your capacity to lead your school's approach to manage its legal and policy obligations and risks.
Law and Order will equip you with the knowledge and skills you need to navigate Department policy requirements and the legal issues that arise in your school.
Leave with a better understanding of key legal concepts and obligations and Department policy, and with supporting resources that relate to difficult issues such as parent disputes, inappropriate behaviour and duty of care.
You will improve your ability to respond to the operational compliance and legal issues that arise.
Law and Order supports the 'Professional leadership' priority area of the Victorian Education State Framework for Improving Student Outcomes (FISO).
Law and Order is Module 3 in the Strategic Management for School Leaders suite, which supports the Department of Education and Training's commitment to lifting the organisational performance of schools.
Designed for Victorian government school principal class members, business managers and teacher leaders.
This workshop is facilitated by senior and experienced staff including lawyers from the Department’s Legal Division who have spent many years advising schools on legal and policy compliance issues.
Over 1 day, you will:
- analyse case studies to better understand legal and policy issues and risks affecting schools
- unpack Department policies, local school policy templates and resources
- explore available strategies and steps for reducing your school's legal and compliance risks
- have the opportunity for open discussion and questions on all topics.
You will learn:
- about your school’s key legal and policy obligations
- when to seek legal or other advice
- strategies and steps for reducing legal risk in relation to:
- family disputes and intervention orders
- effective responses to disputes and managing inappropriate behaviours of parents and visitors
- key legal obligations in relation to students with disabilities
- duty of care, including bullying, excursions, camps, social media
- the legal framework and Department policy underpinning enrolment, attendance, suspension and expulsion
- information sharing and privacy.