Law and Order
AudiencePrincipal classEducational support staff
ModeFace to face
FeesDET Fully Subsidised
The aim of this module is to ensure that you are able to manage legal risks in schools and to understand key legal concepts and obligations.
Module 3 in the Strategic Management for School Leaders suite supports the Department of Education and Training's commitment to the public sector values of integrity, accountability, respect, leadership, impartiality and responsiveness across the organisation.
1-day workshop facilitated by senior lawyers from the Department's Legal Division who are experienced in advising schools.
A range of engaging and relevant case studies are used to explore common legal issues and risks affecting schools, such as family disputes, intervention orders, duty of care, human rights and discrimination, privacy and information sharing, suspension and expulsion.
By participating in this module, you will develop an understanding of:
- when to seek legal advice
- strategies and steps for reducing legal risk
- family disputes and intervention orders
- effective responses to disputes and managing inappropriate behaviours of parents/visitors
- key legal obligations in relation to students with disabilities
- duty of care (including bullying, excursions, camps)
- the legal framework underpinning enrolment, attendance, suspension and expulsion
- information sharing and privacy.
Project Director, School Compliance Support
03 7022 0930