Harvard Data Wise Australia: Using Collaborative Data Inquiry to Build Equitable Schools
AudiencePrincipalTeacher leaderTeacherAssistant principal
Next Intake19 April
ModeFace to faceWebinar
Learn to create the conditions for educators to collaborate more effectively and build equitable schools so that each student thrives.
This course will guide you through the Data Wise Improvement Process - an 8-step model that guides teams of educators to collaboratively improve teaching and learning through evidence-based analysis. Using this process, you’ll develop the habits of mind needed to use collaborative data inquiry to build more equitable schools.
This program will also prepare you to plan and launch this inquiry process in your own setting as part of the full Data Wise Portfolio.
Designed for school teams, (of three or more people), comprising:
- a principal
- at least 1 teacher
- 1 or more other educators in leadership roles.
Preference will be given to teams that include at least one curriculum and instruction specialist, such as a literacy or mathematics coach.
Harvard Graduate School of Education
- Kathryn Parker Boudett, Senior Lecturer on Education, Faculty Director, Learning and Teaching
- Penny Jayne, Managing Director, Global Education Equity Alliance - Victoria, Australia
You will will participate in and contribute to:
- an online kick-off event (1.5 hours) on 15 February 2022
- 5 days of face-to-face intensive learning, from Tuesday 19 April to Saturday 23 April 2022.
Over 5 days in Melbourne, your school team will interact with the Data Wise Australia teaching team. The in-person sessions will also bring together peers from diverse settings around Australia who are all committed to learning how to lead collaborative inquiry in the service of equity.
This program will prepare you to lead collaborative analysis of a wide range of data sources, including periodic formative assessments, daily student work, observation of classroom practice, and standardised tests.
In a hands-on, interactive format, you will learn and use tools to present, discuss, and act upon data.
You will leave with the skills to:
- articulate how and why equity is central to your school improvement work
- build skills to take an equity lens at each step of the Data Wise Improvement Process
- demonstrate a relentless focus on evidence when collaboratively analysing a wide range of data sources, including annual standardized tests, periodic formative assessments, daily class work, and observations of classroom practice
- engage in intentional collaboration by using a Meeting Wise rolling agenda and practicing wise meeting facilitation and participation
- create a shared commitment to action, assessment and adjustment as you develop a plan to launch collaborative data inquiry in a real-world context.
School teams who are successful in their applications for Data Wise Australia will be asked to contribute a base amount of $500 per person towards the total cost of AUD$5,533 per person.
- School teams who are more than 100km from Melbourne will be eligible to claim Accommodation subsidies ($150 per person, per night). See https://www.bastow.vic.edu.au/fees-and-financial-support for details.
- Questions about the subsidy can be directed to Rachel Crellin Rachel.Crellin@education.vic.gov.au