Enhancing Literacy across Secondary Disciplines
FeesDET Fully Subsidised
Influence literacy improvement in your secondary school.
Enhancing Literacy across Secondary Disciplines focuses on unpacking the knowledge and capabilities required of educators who lead literacy improvement in secondary schools.
In this course you will explore ways to create a coherent and consistent whole-school approach to literacy teaching and learning in all disciplines.
You will leave with a deeper understanding of how to empower teachers to effectively support students develop as literate people.
Enhancing Literacy across Secondary Disciplines supports the ‘Excellence in teaching and learning’ priority area of the Victorian Education State’s Framework for Improving Student Outcomes (FISO).
Enhancing Literacy across Secondary Disciplines is part of our Literacy Suite, which also includes Leading Literacy; Literacy Local Leaders; Literacy Master Trainer; and Literacy Data, Assessment and Practice.
Designed for a secondary school context.
Teacher leaders - for example, literacy leaders, learning specialists, literacy coordinators or curriculum development leaders - with responsibility for influencing literacy improvement in their secondary school should attend.
Facilitators for Enhancing Literacy across Secondary Dsciplines are highly respected and experienced practitioners with both academic and practical expertise.
Keay Cobbin and Steve Willy from Wilcob Education Consulting have had long careers as teachers and leaders in Victorian schools and are now consultants focusing on literacy and leadership in education. They provide professional learning for teachers, coaches and school leaders to provide high quality professional learning to achieve the best outcomes for all students.
Learn more about why Victorian educators choose Bastow for their leadership professional learning at Why Bastow?
Over a school year, you are expected to engage in and contribute to:
- 4 virtual workshops (4 days)
- coaching (approximately 1 hour)
- self-directed learning (90 minutes per workshop)
The virtual workshops are delivered over 4 days.
Workshops will explore key areas including:
- establishing a whole-school literacy culture
- supporting and leading literacy implementation in all disciplines
- reimagining secondary schooling, building on current research around curriculum and pedagogy.
Coaching is available to support you to implement your learning.
Self-directed learning activities in your own time (up to 90 minutes per workshop) include:
- content readings and/or video
- contributing to online discussion boards
- collaborating with your peers both online and in your school to implement learnings.
You’ll learn how to:
- apply new knowledge and techniques to effectively lead successful literacy teaching and learning in all disciplines
- strategically align professional development with the identified literacy needs of your colleagues
- reimagine new directions for secondary schooling based on recent research and your own experience.
Enhancing Literacy across Secondary Disciplines is fully subsidised by the Victorian Department of Education and Training for Victorian government school participants.
For more information, visit Fees and financial support.