Data Literacy for School Leaders
Next IntakeNot scheduled
ModeFace to face
Learn to analyse data to drive school performance and student improvement.
What does your data tell you about your school's performance? In this deep-dive into data analysis, you'll learn how to measure, calculate, synthesise and understand your school's data to identify key themes.
You'll explore how to validate your findings and use this as evidence to make informed decisions, be more strategic, and improve teacher practice and student outcomes.
Data Literacy for School Leaders supports the 'Professional leadership' priority area of the Victorian Education State Framework for Improving Student Outcomes (FISO).
Data Literacy for School Leaders is Module 6 in the Strategic Management for School Leaders suite, which supports the Department of Education and Training's commitment to lifting the organisational performance of schools.
Designed for principals and a member of their school leadership team who are looking to extend their ability to analyse data.
Facilitators for Data Literacy for School Leaders are highly respected and experienced practitioners with both academic and practical expertise.
Silent Partners is committed to leadership and learning excellence. They provide leadership development, coaching and support for professionals in education, not-for-profit organisations and industry. They also facilitate the development of sound governance processes and have a long history in stakeholder and community consultation.
Learn more about why Victorian educators choose Bastow for their leadership professional learning at Why Bastow?
Over 1 day, you will:
- undertake an inquiry into your school's performance story, using data
- examine the human side of data analysis, including how to set up a psychologically safe environment, understanding cognitive bias and strategies for mitigating bias
- learn how a School Performance Report is constructed
- examine case study data (Differentiated School Performance Report, School Summary Report and the Panorama Supplementary School Report) and unpack key data sets
- use a data planner to analyse your data, decide on main messages and inform your strategic planning
- engage in a professional dialogue to share key messages from your data and to test your thinking.
Prior to the workshop, you'll need to complete 3 Naplan tutorials related to school performance data.
You'll also need to collate the following school documentation to bring to the workshop:
- (Differentiated) School Performance Report
- Supplementary School Level Report (the Panorama Supplementary School Report)
- School Summary Report
- Staff Opinion Survey (optional)
- Attitudes to School Report (optional)
You'll have the opportunity to arrange a regional data coach for more support after completing the course.
You'll learn how to:
- set up an appropriate environment for a data conversation
- analyse school-wide reports
- analyse your school's datasets, identify key themes and discuss how to verify these themes
- use a data planner to synthesise your data, decide on main messages and inform your strategic planning.
The course fees are significantly subsidised by the Department of Education and Training.
Co-contribution: $110 (incl. GST) for each Victorian government school participant.
For more information about fees and subsidies, see Fees and financial support.
03 7022 2459