Data Literacy for School Leaders
Further develop your ability to analyse data to drive school performance and student improvement.
In this workshop you'll work collaboratively to learn how to analyse, synthesise and understand your own school data sets and identify key themes.
You'll explore how to validate these themes and use this as a basis to make informed decisions, be more strategic, and improve teacher practice and student outcomes.
Data Literacy for School Leaders supports the 'Professional leadership' priority area of the Victorian Education State Framework for Improving Student Outcomes (FISO).
Data Literacy for School Leaders is Module 6 in the Strategic Management for School Leaders suite, which supports the Department of Education and Training's commitment to lifting the organisational performance of schools.
Designed for principals with members of their school leadership team who have responsibility for school improvement.
It is recommended that teams comprise 2-3 school leaders from small to medium schools, and up to 5 from large or multi-campus schools.
Note: classroom teachers may attend alongside their principal.
Facilitators for Data Literacy for School Leaders are highly respected and experienced practitioners with both academic and practical expertise.
Silent Partners is committed to leadership and learning excellence. They provide leadership development, coaching and support for professionals in education, not-for-profit organisations and industry. They also facilitate the development of sound governance processes and have a long history in stakeholder and community consultation.
Learn more about why Victorian educators choose Bastow for their leadership professional learning at Why Bastow?
Over two, 2-hour sessions, you will:
- look briefly at how your data reflects your school’s performance story
- examine the human side of data analysis, including how to set up a psychologically safe environment, understand cognitive bias and strategies for mitigating bias
- learn how a School Performance Report is constructed
- examine case study data (Differentiated School Performance Report, School Summary Report and the Supplementary School Level Report) and unpack key data sets
- use a data planner to analyse your data, determine main messages and how these might inform your strategic planning.
Prior to the workshop, you'll need to watch two short video clips relating to Understanding the “Why” of your school, and Naplan Benchmark Growth data.
You'll also need to download the following school documentation to bring to the workshop:
- (Differentiated) School Performance Report
- Supplementary School Level Report (the Panorama Supplementary School Level Report)
- School Summary Report (from the School Information Portal)
- Staff Opinion Survey (optional)
- Attitudes to School Report (optional)
You'll have the opportunity to arrange a time to meet with a regional data coach for more support after completion of the course.
You'll learn how to:
- set up an appropriate environment for a data conversation
- analyse school-wide reports
- analyse your school's datasets, identify key themes and discuss how to verify these themes
- use a data planner to start the process of synthesising your data and determining main messages that can inform your annual and strategic planning.
The course fees are significantly subsidised by the Department of Education and Training.
Co-contribution: $110 (incl. GST) for each Victorian government school participant.
For more information about fees and subsidies, see Fees and financial support.