Data Literacy for School Leaders
Learn to analyse data to drive school performance and student improvement.
What does your data tell you about your school's performance? In this deep-dive into data analysis, you'll learn how to measure, calculate, synthesise and understand your school's data to identify key themes.
You'll explore how to validate your findings and use this as evidence to make informed decisions, be more strategic, and improve teacher practice and student outcomes.
Data Literacy for School Leaders supports the 'Professional leadership' priority area of the Victorian Education State Framework for Improving Student Outcomes (FISO).
Data Literacy for School Leaders is Module 6 in the Strategic Management for School Leaders suite, which supports the Department of Education and Training's commitment to lifting the organisational performance of schools.
Designed for principals and members of their school leadership team who are responsible for whole school improvement. Teams of 2-3 people from small schools and up to 5 from large or multi- campus schools are recommended.
Facilitators for Data Literacy for School Leaders are highly respected and experienced practitioners with both academic and practical expertise.
Silent Partners is committed to leadership and learning excellence. They provide leadership development, coaching and support for professionals in education, not-for-profit organisations and industry. They also facilitate the development of sound governance processes and have a long history in stakeholder and community consultation.
Over 1 day, you'll:
- look briefly at how your data reflects your school’s performance story
- examine the human side of data analysis, including how to set up a psychologically safe environment, understanding cognitive bias and strategies for mitigating bias
- learn how a School Performance Report is constructed
- examine case-study data (Differentiated School Performance Report, School Summary Report and the Panorama Supplementary School Report) and unpack key data sets
- use a data planner to start analysing your data, deciding on main messages and how this might inform your strategic planning.
Prior to the workshop, you'll need to watch 2 short video clips on understanding your school and Naplan benchmark growth data.
You'll also need to collate the following school documentation to bring to the workshop:
- (Differentiated) School Performance Report
- Supplementary School Level Report (the Panorama Supplementary School Report)
- School Summary Report
- Staff Opinion Survey (optional)
- Attitudes to School Report (optional).
You'll have the opportunity to arrange a regional data coach for more support after completing the course.
You'll learn how to:
- set up an appropriate environment for a data conversation
- analyse school-wide reports
- analyse your school's datasets, identify key themes and discuss how to verify these themes
- use a data planner to synthesise your data, decide on main messages and inform your strategic planning.
The course fees are significantly subsidised by the Department of Education and Training.
Co-contribution: $110 (incl. GST) for each Victorian government school participant.
For more information about fees and subsidies, see Fees and financial support.
03 7022 0270