Create: Middle Leaders
Create professional learning communities that are focused on improving student outcomes in your school.
Understand how to identify the learning needs of your team members by engaging in collaborative data analysis and professional inquiry to inform teacher practice and professional development.
Apply these skills in your school by leading a team of your colleagues in a change endeavour to improve teaching and learning.
Designed for middle leaders, including teachers who are:
- in a formal or informal leadership role
- leading a team of colleagues, such as a professional learning team, year level team or curriculum team.
Principals also need to make specific contributions throughout the program.
Over 12 months you are expected to engage in and contribute to:
- 8 learning community days (workshops), including a 2-day residential workshop
- pre- and post-workshop activities
- small support groups (triads) that operate for course duration
- a leadership shadowing experience (optional)
- online community collaboration, discussions and challenges
- leadership of a significant change endeavour designed to improve teaching and learning.
This program requires a principal class mentor to attend:
- a 2-hour Inspiration Evening
- 2 half-day workshops designed specifically for principal class mentors
- the final workshop day with all participants and mentors.
In addition to attending the workshop days, principal class mentors are expected to support your school-based learning and collaborate with your triad.
By participating in this program, you will develop an understanding of:
- who you are as a learner and leader
- how you can lead the learning of others and inspire them to change
- your team context and its unique learning needs
- how to achieve change, including collaborating with others in the process.
This course is significantly subsidised by the Department of Education and Training.
Co-contribution: $990 (incl. GST) for Victorian government school participants.
See Fees and financial support for more information.
Acceptance into Create: Middle Leaders is dependent on the outcome of a selection process.
- To start your application click on the 'Apply now' button.
- Select your preferred intake on the dates page.
- Once you complete the application form, you will be sent a confirmation email that includes a link to Award Force. Award Force is used by Bastow to manage applications. You need to create an Award Force login to continue with your application.
- Respond to the key selection criteria and submit your application.
Key selection criteria:
- Describe the team you lead (or will be leading in 2019) and your current role.
- What impact do you expect Create: Middle Leaders will have on your practice in regards to improving student outcomes?
- Outline what you believe makes an effective teacher leader.
- What skills are you hoping to gain from this course in regards to collaboration and leading change in an educational context?
Once the selection process has been completed you will be notified of the result and asked to accept your offer. An invoice will be sent which needs to be paid within 7 days to secure your spot.