Content and Language Integrated Learning
Next IntakeNot scheduled
ModeFace to face
FeesDET Fully Subsidised
Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL) is an approach to language teaching and learning which combines teaching content from a curriculum area (for example, science) while simultaneously learning and using a target language (for example, Italian).
The aim of the course is to develop participants’ knowledge and understanding of CLIL and how it can improve classroom practice. Participants will be provided with a wide range of CLIL exemplars to build their capacity to design, deliver and lead CLIL programs in their schools.
The course will also focus on enabling participants to share their knowledge and lead substantive conversations with their school networks about CLIL and its relevance to contemporary languages education.
CLIL is facilitated by the University of Melbourne and offered in partnership between Bastow and Languages Unit, Secondary Reform, Transitions and Priority Cohorts. Participants who successfully complete CLIL will earn 12.5 credit points towards further study of a Master of Modern Languages Education, Master of TESOL, or Master of Education at the University of Melbourne.
This course is designed for language teachers who have the support of their principal to:
- build their knowledge and understanding of CLIL
- intend to trial a CLIL program in their school.
Over 3 months, you are expected to engage in and contribute to:
- 3 workshop days
- 2 webinars
- a visit to a school with an established CLIL program
- 3 study leave days
- online learning components, for example, pre-reading, and other tools, as appropriate, for effective learning, communication and collaboration
- individual monitoring and support of participants.
It is expected that participants complete up to 170 hours of professional learning through active participation in this course. Those who successfully complete the course will receive a Bastow certificate of completion recognising their hours of participation.
By participating in this course, you commit to:
- attend all 3 workshops for the hours specified
- complete all elements of the course including reading, projects, reflections, online components, and other specified activities
- participate in the peer learning groups
- complete formative assessment components in a timely manner
- complete all surveys administered by the facilitator and the independent evaluator for the evaluation and ongoing improvement of the workshops
- participate in an interview to evaluate the module if requested by the external evaluation team.
By completing this course, you will develop an enhanced capacity to:
- explore contemporary language and literacy learning and examine the place of CLIL in schools
- investigate CLIL research and how it relates to languages education
- understand the components of a CLIL program and the theories that underpin these
- scope, design and develop a practical CLIL unit of work and accompanying resources
- lead whole school planning of a CLIL program and understand the organisational conditions that are necessary to support a CLIL program in their school
- develop CLIL based language assessment tasks to improve student language learning outcomes.
Fully subsidised for Victorian government school participants.
Participants' schools are also eligible for 6 days pro-rata CRT payments (for 3 workshops and 3 study leave days) and travel support of up to $150 per workshop for approved rural teachers.
The 3 study leave days are provided to support participants to complete course work and assignments.
To be eligible to apply, you must be:
- a qualified Victorian Institute of Teaching registered language teacher
- available to attend all course workshops and complete all learning activities
- undertaking the course to support learning goals outlined in you Performance and Development Plan.
When you submit your application, you will receive an ‘approved’ email to indicate your application has been received. We will email to let you know the outcome of your application.
Kristien Sarwo Rini
Senior Project Officer
03 7022 1856
03 8199 2984