Supporting Students with Learning Difficulties including Dyscalculia
Next IntakeOn demand
FeesDET fully subsidised
This online, self-paced course explores learning difficulties in numeracy and Mathematics.
You will learn how to identify, assess, plan and implement strategies to support students with learning difficulties and disabilities in the classroom.
Leave with a better understanding of practical skills and knowledge relating to effective instruction, interventions, and adjustments for students.
This resource has been developed and designed by the Department of Education and Training’s Learning Difficulties Unit.
Designed for primary and secondary Mathematics teachers.
Over 2 - 3 hours you will complete 4 modules:
- Introduction to learning difficulties in numeracy
This module will build your awareness of numeracy learning difficulties and how these relate to (and are different from) learning disabilities, such as dyscalculia. This module will also explore how learning disabilities affect student wellbeing and learning in subjects like Mathematics.
- Identifying the signs of numeracy learning difficulties
This module will help you to develop a nuanced understanding of learning difficulties in numeracy and explain how the signs differ at different curriculum levels.
- Assessing mathematical skills and knowledge using the curriculum
This module links you to existing resources and curriculum aligned assessment tools. You will also explore different methods for assessing students using the curriculum, as well as developing and using formative assessment rubrics.
- Supporting students with numeracy learning difficulties in the classroom
This module provides you with practical guidance about effective instruction, interventions, and adjustments for students with learning difficulties in numeracy, as well as specific information about which of these strategies are best suited to support those with learning disabilities.
- build your awareness of learning difficulties as well as how these relate to (and are different from) learning disabilities, such as dyscalculia
- develop a nuanced understanding of learning difficulties in numeracy and become confident recognising signs that may indicate a student is experiencing a learning difficulty
- explore different methods for assessing students using the curriculum
- learn practical skills and knowledge relating to effective instruction, interventions, and adjustments for students with learning difficulties in numeracy.
Access to Supporting Students with Learning Difficulties including Dyscalculia is through LearnED:
- Go to LearnEd via eduPay
- Click ‘My LearnED’
- Click ‘Find Learning’
- Search ‘learning difficulties’ to find the course
- Get started, or use the eduPay Help option for access and login support