Victoria’s Principal For A Day® (PFAD) program, now in its 16th year, operates in Victorian government primary, secondary and special schools and is a collaboration between the Department of Education and Training through the Bastow Institute of Educational Leadership and ACER.
This year the event date is Thursday 7 September.
The program brings business and community leaders together with school leaders, with the aims of:
- increasing understanding and awareness between schools, business and the wider community
- promoting the great work that schools do
- enabling participants to develop ongoing relationships, partnerships and programs.
School principals benefit from insights on leadership from successful leaders in other spheres, the opportunity to showcase the school to business and community leaders, and the potential for developing ongoing and mutually beneficial relationships for the school and its students.
Business and community leaders benefit from an insight into the issues facing schools and the work they do, opportunities to share ideas and perspectives on organisational leadership and skills sharing, and a chance to make a contribution to the community.
Involvement with Principal For A Day® can be as a one-off, one-day event, an introduction to exploring the potential for ongoing partnership, or as a consolidation of an existing relationship.
The two components of the event each year are:
- The event day for Principal For A Day® - The ‘principal for a day’ shadows the school principal, and participates in normal day-to-day activities in a primary, special or secondary school. The principal and the ‘principal for a day’ discuss the challenges and current issues each is facing in their leadership role. Other activities on the day usually include a tour of the school buildings and discussions with students and teachers. The official event day is Thursday 7 September, 2017.
- The forum component - Following the event day, all ‘principals for a day’ and their host principals are invited to a forum to network and share their leadership experiences and observations from the event day. The forum will be held on Thursday 12 October, 2017.
Registrations for school principals and business and community leaders will open in May. In the meantime, expressions of interest can be submitted at
www.acer.edu.au/pfad or by contacting Danielle Watts on 03 9277 5381,